Re:

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re:
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:51:19 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 01-Aug-99 21:18:20 Eastern Daylight Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

> A fifth speed? Obviously your salesman should have been shot! I can't
>  believe he didn't know that O/D on a TR4 gave you 7 speeds in total.
>  But what I've read on the earlier post stands up to scrutiny. For some
>  obscure reason, US dealers just didn't sell overdrives on US ordered cars.
>  Heaven knows why not. From what I remember, every car we sold in the UK to
>  US visitors or US service personnel had overdrives. Financially, it was go
>  for the jugular as far as our commission was concerned and when you told
>  them an O/D gave seven ultra close speeds on a four cogger, the signature
>  went straight on the line that was dotted.

Jonmac, right.  I had a bad dealer.  But then I dealt with the Triumph US
sales folks in New York City.  I think it was the National Representative for
the US.  They gave me no info at all and probably wondered what this West
Point Cadet was trying to do by ordering a car from them for pickup in the
UK.

I had ordered a car from a Triumph dealer in Newburg, NY in October '63, only
to find in February of '64 that the "white, black convertible top, leather
interior, wire wheels equipped" car that I had ordered was in fact a "blue,
with black top, vinyl interior, disk wheel" car. He had not only failed to
advise me about OD but he didn't even get the car that I had ordered.  He
told me that what he had for me was what he had received.  I told him to
"stuff it" and went to the Yellow Pages to get the phone number of the
National Rep in NY city.  I then ordered the car, which I wanted, from them,
for pickup in the UK (while I was on "Graduation Leave").

So you are right, in my case there was no marketing pressure.  Unfortunately
this led that young cadet (me) to not understand the value of OD.  I wonder
how many other customers in the US had the same problem.  Maybe this is
another reason why Triumph went under?  There was a big market in the US but
obviously a there was a disconnect between what you sales guys in the UK were
doing and what the US sales guys were doing.  Cheers.

Art Kelly