TR International - UK

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR International - UK
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 06:42:10 +0100
Well folks I'm really jealous of you all over the other side of the
pond.   I went to the TR International at Malvern on Sunday, and felt
that it was all a real anti climax - maybe I arrived too late, but very
little happened - there was no autocross, driving tests or anything
similar (maybe they had good resons for this) , and the stands provided
by the various supplers did not seem to be up to the normal standard.
The Moss stand in particular had very little in the way of spares for
sale, and I could not find the TRGB stand at all !    TR Bitz attracted
lots of customers on Sunday afternoon - mostly because they had a
television with the Grand Prix showing!    I actually managed to not
spend a penny on spares.  Even the second hand people didn't seem to
have too much to sell.    As a matter of interest there were quite a few
reconditioned TR Gearboxes with overdrive- the going rate was about 450
pounds   I don't know if they were exchange units though.  I did see one
Triumph 2000 gearbox with overdrive going for 150 pounds  - I've got one
similar in my TR4.  there was very little in the way of tuning gear
there too.

On the good side the weather was very hot - until the thunderstorms came
just after we had left for home - Linda and I both got very wet when we
stopped to put up the hood. At least 4 other TRs went past at this time
with their hoods down -they and their cars must have got soaked.   The
event was 105 miles from my home - I realise this is a puny distance
when compared with the distances in the USA, but the car didn't miss a
beat at any time. we went down minor roads for most of the journey,
motorways would have been too hot for both the car and occupants.

I reckon there were at least 300 TRs attending though  plus Warwicks,
Peerlesses and other assorted Triumphs (some poser turned up in a
Ferrari). It was an amazing sight to see 4 rows of about 50 cars in each
row on the main car park. The other 100 were scattered about the site.
For some reason UK TR drivers like 'proper' camping - that is in very
small tents and the site was covered with them.  The backdrop of the
Malvern Hills gave the event a very good atmosphere.    Peter Morgan (of
Morgan Cars) presented the prizes for the concours competitions - the
cars in the concours hall were all brilliant- and they all had to be
driven to the event.

I didn't spot any other listers there - although I did see the contigent
from Holland.
Maybe we should organise some stickers for European Triumph owners ?

Anyway - if I can get some photos developed (sorry I haven't got a
digital camera !)
I will post them - I must admit I spent most of the time with the video
camera, and taking pictures of engines or nether regions of TR2-3-3As
for future reference.

Glad those of you that went enjoyed the VTR - one day I might make it
over there !!

--
Cheers
Brian Johnson  (Loughborough - UK)