Re: A somewhat curious question....

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: A somewhat curious question....
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:08:32 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

>Tonight, Ken Shapiro asked a question about what appeared to be a
>reflector on the back of his `70 GT6+. That got me thinking that I
>didn't have a similar arrangement on my car, only 1000 numbers earlier
>than Ken's [Ken's is KC81080L something, mine is KC80734]. When I
>checked a parts catalog, it suggested that the change to the single
>rectangular back-up lamp occurred at KC75001. Andy Mace jumped in with
>the following, interspersed with my replies:
>
>Andrew Mace wrote:
>>
>> > First thought would be that it's a late `69, and simply registered in
>> > `70, but the commission number would have to be considerably earlier
>> > than that to be a `69.
>> >
>> > I am now as perplexed as is Ken. <g>

I've missed earlier versions of this thread as it relates to the rectangular
reversing light on the GT6. Therefore I may be repeating what has already
been reviewed. As many will know, the Mk 1 had two individual lights inboard
of the direction indicators. The central plinth with a centred backup light
came in with the Mk 2 / GT6+ in 1969. I don't know the commission numbers
which started these cars. If some listers have a Mk 1 with that same set-up,
I can only conclude that at some stage in the past their car must have been
stuffed up the back end and owing to lack of parts or whatever, the later
plinth was fitted with integral lamp was fitted. It's worth mentioning as
well that this revised arrangement was not, as I recall, within the scope of
Federal legislation - i.e. the sculptured plinth and integral lamp was not a
US/Canadian requirement. Joe Curry will shoot me down in flames but the same
plinth and lamp cut in at the same time on the Spitfire.

Someone then said reflectors weren't needed outside the US? Not strictly
true - dpeneds whrere they were fitted. Reflectors were an integral part of
the stop tail lights. IMHO these separate reflectors are either a specific
individual State requirement not covered by the Federal build spec adopted
by the factory - or somebody put them on the pretty up the car.

Denim seats in 1970 as an optional extra? Don't remember that - though I
could be wrong. Possible that denim was optional at a later stage after my
departure and this car has subsequently had seats fitted to it from a later
variant.

Jonmac