Re: Original Spit tyre size

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: Re: Original Spit tyre size
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:41:16 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom :

Guess everyone really did go to VTR !

Anyway, both my Haynes and Chilton just give the original tire size as
either 5.20S-13 bias or 145R-13 radial.

The Haynes also gives what you probably want :
3.89 ratio no OD gives  16.7 mph per 1000 rpm
3.89 with OD            20.8 mph per 1000 rpm
4.11 no OD              15.9 mph per 1000 rpm
4.11 with OD            19.9 mph per 1000 rpm

working these backwards, I get an effective aspect ratio of 77 for the
145R-13.

Tire makers were pretty casual about actual size and aspect ratio back
in the '70s, so these are approximations at best.

Randall