Re: Constant Charging Light

To: dane trSix <dbtr6@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Constant Charging Light
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:45:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dane :

If the light is on bright, I'd say you have a wiring error of some
sort.  With the engine running, there should be battery voltage (12-15v)
on one side of the light from the ignition switch, and the same voltage
on the other side from the alternator.  Since the voltage is the same on
both sides, the light shouldn't come on.  Start by checking voltages at
the light, and working towards whichever one is incorrect.

If the light is dim (half bright or less), I'd say you have a high
resistance connection or contact, somewhere between the alternator, the
starter solenoid and the ignition switch (possibly the ign switch
itself).  If the output voltage at the alternator is enough higher than
the ign circuit voltage, the lamp can glow.  Try checking the voltage
between the alternator output terminal (the big one) and the ign circuit
on the fuse block.  If the difference is more than 1.5v, you have a bad
connection somewhere.

Randall