Re: Need help with "easy" elec. glitch

To: "Shapiro - Kenneth J." <kshapiro@umd5.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Need help with "easy" elec. glitch
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Shapiro - Kenneth J. wrote:

> Hey, when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm not there! Here's
> the thing, the horn on my GT6+ only works when the ignition
> is off AND the key is removed. Everything ellse on that fuse
> is OK. So, I'm assuming that the horn is wired wrong. Do I
> switch the leads at the relay, horn, or what?

It's my wild guess that the horn is being grounded by the steering column
lock instead of by the steering column itself.  So when you pull the key
and the column lock engages, you have a ground path for the horns.

This theory relies on a bunch of assumptions:

1) The GT6+ uses a horn circuit like my TR4 does (did): Horns are hot all
the time and the horn button grounds them, thus completing the circuit

2) The GT6+ grounds the horn circuit through the steering column and thus
must have jumper wires to go over the rubber shock absorbers in the
steering column (and a ground strap on the rack IIRC)

3) The GT6+ has a metal steering column lock (unlike my TR4)

Try jumping a wire from somewhere on the steering column (where it pokes
through the firewall) to chassis ground.  Rather than fool around with the
3 jumpers on my TR4 I fabricated a "brush" out of thin spring steel that
rides on the steering column just upstream of the top rubber shock
absorber.

Remember: when fixing the horn, you will get extreme audible response when
it works.  You've been warned.  Don't be wiggling wires with your head
down in the engine bay.  Might be wise to wrap the horn with rags for when
you hit the jackpot...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm