RE: TR6 Shunt on Ammeter

To: "'levilevi@home.com'" <levilevi@home.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Shunt on Ammeter
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:18:20 -0700
Bud :

I posted the info, but it was only for a TR3A ammeter (the only ones I
had).
I have been trying to locate a TR6 ammeter to measure, but haven't found
one yet.  One of the local club members promised to measure his, and tell
me the value at the next club meeting, so there's still hope ...

The TR3 info :

>> I just measured the resistance of two Lucas ammeters (both from 59
>>                TR3A's, with the setscrew terminals), using fairly
accurate digital
>>                meters.  Both are 1.2 milliohms.
>>
>>                Some quick work with a resistance table & calculator
shows that a 50%
>>                shunt (equal resistance) could be made from 5.5" of 14
gauge copper wire
>>                (8.29 milliohms/meter) or 3.5" of 16 gauge copper (13.2
>>                milliohms/meter).  At 30 amps (50% of 60 amps total), the
shunt will
>>                dissipate 1.1 watts, which shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>          YMMV

BTW, I have no particular reason to believe the value is different for a
TR6, but Murphy's law says if I don't check, it will be ! <g>

Also, while I have no objection to revisiting the issue, did you know that
listquest.com keeps a record of all our ramblings ?  To get the above
quote, I went to http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=triumphs and
entered search terms of "ammeter resistance shunt" (without the quotes).

Randall