Re: The Origin of Positive Earth?

To: "TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Origin of Positive Earth?
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:02:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
The main explanation I've read from time to time is that the positive ground
was because the spark jumps from the negative (center) electrode to the
outer (ground) electrode, and although positive grounding added only the
tiniest bit of additional spark (in theory), it was thereby considered the
best arrangement.  Why take 6 or 12 volts away from the plug voltage when
you could instead add 6 or 12 volts??

OTOH, there's no reason negative SHOULD be the ground either - it's just
what we're used to and somehow sounds "logical" (i.e. maybe because it seems
that "negative" and "ground" sound inferior, while positive sounds like the
"important" one ??)

Gee - maybe I'll change my modern cars over to positive ground.  Imagine -
24 volts more than my electronic ignition provides now !!      ;-)

- Karl Vacek

PS - didn't Henry Ford go under the ground in 1946 ??

Chip Old  fold@bcpl.net  replied...