crane with sport coil

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net
Subject: crane with sport coil
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:00:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi George-

Take a look at cranes website cranecams.com.  I would have thought that
too, but  they state that the high power coils should not be used with
the 700 and also that the 700 should be used with a ballasted system. I
understand that if the ignition wiring remains ballasted as OEM then the
advantages of the hot coil is lost anyway. Crane suggests use of the
3000 system to take advantage of the hot coils and non-ballasted
systems. I can't tell if this is all marketing hype to get you to
upgrade or if there is a real basis for the proposed restrictions. Maybe
what they meean is if you have a ballasted system you have to use the
700 which, because of the ballast resistor, precludes the benefit of the
hot coil so they don;t recommend the hot coil since its a waste of
money. ( Note they recommend the 700 for our type of car but that may be
due to the assumption that we all keep the OEM resistor wire
operational.)Thus to get the advantage of the hot coil, you need to
upgrade to the 3000 system which runs on non-ballasted wiring and thus
allows you to use the hot coil.Obviously yours runs just fine as is.
Does your wiring still have the ballast resistor wire in the circuit?

This all really mixes me up as I am trying first to figure out if my
Ignitor system ( 3 years old with sport coil) is going on the fritz and
if so, should I consider replacing it with Crane or MSD or  buy another
Ignitor from Roger Bollick who has good prices for Ignitors and a very
fast response. But the more I know the less I understand about these
systems.

Pep Boys sells Crane-maybe I'll give them a call since Crane doesn't
invite inquiries on their website.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6