RE: Gaskets and the front sealing block

To: <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: Gaskets and the front sealing block
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:58:48 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>On a related note, is there a trick to avoid damaging the front
> engine plate gasket when replacing the front main bearing? It
> looks like that gasket might sustain damage when the front
> sealing block is removed.

Peter,

No trick, it's luck.  The gasket on my TR3 suffered damage when I removed
the sealing block, which I am assuming is similar to the TR6's.  I was
instructed by a former lister "Nick in Nor Cal", to clean all the surfaces
and use a thin smear of RTV in that area to seal where the gasket breaks
off.  You may be able to keep the gasket intact, but as far as I am
concerned, if that gasket has been in there for a while, it would then be
suspect for leakage, unless the sealing block separated perfectly.

I cut out the gasket cleanly and used RTV.  It worked perfectly on my old
TR3 engine for several years.  Just make sure to go easy on the RTV and
don't leave any on the inside of the engine, where it could break loose or
get dislodged and possibly clog up the oil pump screen, etc...

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando