Re: TR3B Whats it worth?

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3B Whats it worth?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:38:55 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 KHOCO@aol.com wrote:

> While gawking at the local sports car restoration shop I noticed a
> really nice 62 TR3B on the show room floor. The car is fully restored
> and in excellent condition. The asking price is 10.5 . Is this a fair
> price? The owner did mention that it has a TR6 transmission so its never
> going to be a pure show car but I'm not interested in showing anyway. My
> GT6 is going to need some major body-off work within a couple of years
> and it would be nice to have another Triumph to drive when i start. TIA

Ken, that might be a decent deal. However, if you're not REALLY familar
with the 3B, I'd find someone who is and take them along with you. We can
all tell you what to look at, but it's a lot easier if you've got the
extra pair of eyes right there.

As for the TR6 gearbox, I don't see that as much of a detraction even in
value or originality. Certainly TRA judges would pick up on it and deduct
something; perhaps a team of judges at a VTR meet would do the same if
they really knew what to look for and dug around enough to spot it. But
remember that pretty much all TR3Bs had an all-synchro gearbox anyway, so
a TR6 gearbox isn't very far from original except (externally) for the
unit serial number and possibly some casting details? With a 3B the
commission, engine and body numbers are of primary (only?) importance to
distinguish it from a late TR3A, many of which have been upgraded to 3B
(or better) specification anyway.

All of which simply means that $10.5k might be a good price indeed! Or
not!

--Andy