Re: TRFaq

To: P2VNEPTUNE@aol.com
Subject: Re: TRFaq
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 P2VNEPTUNE@aol.com wrote:

> I WENT THROUGH YOUR FAQ LIST TO FIND OUT WHAT COLOR MY 1967 TR4A SHOULD BE,
> BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO HAVE IT PAINTED. I COULD NOT READ ANY OF THE WORDS ON
> THE COLOR CHARTS AND I CANNOT BE SURE OF ANY OF THE COLORS. CAN YOU HELP ON
> THE PROPER COLORS FOR MY 1967 TR4A IRS?

Richard, I am cc-ing the Triumphs List to see if I can garner some help
from others out there.

My personal response would be "Your 1967 TR4A IRS should be your favorite
color", but that's just my bias.

To find out what color your car should be from the factory, you can:
  - look on the BMIHT certificate and see what they painted it
  - Look at the paint code on the car (is there one on TR4As?)
  - Look somewhere on the car to see the original color (ie, my TR4 was
once Signal Red, I know this as that is the base color beneath the wiring
harness and the other stuff behind the dash that has never come out)

If you choose method #3, it won't take long to dig up a paint recipe (or
even better, a paint code for modern paint) that will be a close match.

You could also go to one of the parts places / paint store in your area
that have been in business since the 60s, and see if they have any old
books of paint chips.  Look up "Triumph", and find the paint chip that
matches your car.  Be aware that the corresponding paint code is probably
out of date, or even that the type of paint is now considered nasty and
therefore impossible to get.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm