Re: TR3B: Turn Signal Update

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: TR3B: Turn Signal Update
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:58:31 -0700

David Moag wrote:

> Hello all;
>
> Well the turn signals have made some progress. The lights all come on and
> flash. The front ones, however, don't make much of a noticeable flash when
> you already have them in side/head light mode. I mean you can barely notice
> any difference as they flash.

Most likely, you've got the filaments switched, or possibly a bad
ground.

> Bigger problem is the indicator light. When you first turn on the flashers
> (either L or R) you get one loud click and you see the light go on. From
> then on you get nothing --- no clicking, no indicator light. The turn signal
> lights do flash, just no sound and no light. Any ideas how to figure out
> why?

Sounds like a load-sensitive flasher, without enough load on it.  Try
getting the filaments right first, see if that fixes the problem.

> BTW --- here is what the cause of the original problem was found to be. My
> new wiring harness has three wires that come out the passenger side with
> nowhere to connect. Two of them were green with brown --- I connected them
> to either other and that's when I got the turn signals to work. I have no
> idea why they send two wires out that side of the harness just so you can
> connect them to either other. The other extra wire is green w/ red --- not
> needed on this side of car so I just cap it off. The only reason I see for
> these three to be there is for RHD I guess --- although it is supposed to be
> a LHD harness.

AFAIK, the wiring harness is 'ambidextrous'.  The green/brown and
green/red wires deliberately run to both sides (along with the other
wires for the control head, which would anyway),  to accomodate the
moved control head, which is basically the only LHD vs RHD wiring
difference.  For the dash (which is mirror-imaged), the wires are simply
long enough to reach either location.

Randall