Re: Electric Tach question22>

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Tach question22>
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:44:59 +0100
Can I offer a word of caution on adding modern micro electronics
to automotive electrical systems.

There are some excellent application notes written by electronics
companies on the characteristics of automotive electrical systems
which show that voltage spikes of +/- 60V of quite long duration
are common on a modern well designed and maintained system.

In addition the electronics should also be designed to survive a
battery disconnection and a 24v jump start on a 12v system.

To ensure that your electronics will survive this environment
does require a certain amount of care in the power supply environment.

In general modern microcircuits require a 5v or 3v power supply
and this is derived from a voltage regulator.
It is very important that a regulator suitable for automotive use
(Nat Semi LM2940 series or similar) is used rather than some
of the more commonly available regulators.
Ideally there should be additional protection of a clamping device
(GE Transorb or similar) on the input to the regulator and an in
line filter is a nice luxury.

Just scratching the surface of this one.

Contact me off list if you need more info

John Dowson