Re: Radio Selection for TR4A

To: "Tony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio Selection for TR4A
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:57:16 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Tony,

Here is an off-list reply of mine to Cliff Hansen on this subject:

****************Copy of Reply****************************************
Cliff,

Yes, I did cut a rectangular hole to fit it in.... but you would never know
to look at it.   The radio has 2 knobs,  a tape deck and a small LCD panel.
I love to drive the car and wanted a decent radio.   If the judges don't
like that... so be it.

Actually it looks quite normal and understated.   The German Becker AM-FM
radio I had in my original TR4 was much more glitzy.

The Kenwood model number is KRC-2007 and is $99 from Crutchfields  at
1-800-955-3000.

If you would like.... I could scan the page from the catalog so you can see
it.   I might even have a picture in the last batch of photos that shows it
in the car.

I figure that I will pick up a backup dash support somewhere along the line
and save it in case I get the "concours" disease someday.

I still need to find a speaker solution.  This discussion of putting them
up under the dash is on the same track as I was using.   BUT... I have not
been very successful in finding the mounting hardware and speaker box need.

In desperation, while in Radio Shack.... I bought a cheap $19.99 set of
small 3" speakers in plastic cube-like enclosures... hung on brackets.  I
am sure not going to get those wonderful bass tones....  but maybe that
doesn't matter in the open roadster TR4.

Does anybody have a better solution?

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site