RE: TR Ground straps

To: pinno@bigfoot.com
Subject: RE: TR Ground straps
From: Hugh R McAleer <vitesse@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:10:20 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
FWIW

I didn't 'like' where the ground strap was routed in my 250 ( I seem to
recall that  the 6 is similar ) so I moved it further away from the
steering column.

I used a ground cable that  runs over the steering column from the
battery post to the bolt for the brake/clutch pedal assembly.  From that
bolt I have another cable running to the engine.  It mounts to the bolt
that used to hold the fuel pump.

I too had the tight steering syndrome several years ago ( 1981 to be
exact ) but my incident resulted in lots of smoke and charred wires.
Dumb guy story follows....in an attempt to 'clean up' the wiring under
the hood I had routed the wires from the alternator close to the steering
column in such a way that they snagged on the rubber joint.  I felt the
'tight' steering, and before I could do anything, the wires were fried,
the car was full of smoke, and saw some flames from the plastic coating
on the wires.  A quick battery disconnect and some grabbing wires with
the gloved hand took care of the immediate problem. Spent a few hours
re-wiring the mess and vowed to make sure it didn't happen again.  That
is when I moved all wires as far away as possible from any twisting
source.

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA