Hand Turning a TR6 Engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hand Turning a TR6 Engine
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:53:13 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Fellow LisTRs --
This has bothered me for some time and I would like your opinions.
I recently finished replacing the rod bearings on my '6.  A lot of  folks
said that I could hand turn my engine with the plugs out and the tranny in
neutral. I never could. I tried turning the alternator's center bolt  on the
belt pulley. The belt would only slip. I tried turning the fan itself; I
couldn't budge it.
My fear is that although the rod bearings have been changed the main
bearings may still be a problem. I did all this while the engine was in
situ. The main bearings that I did replace - I changed 2 out of the 8 total
bearings, the ones I could get at - were in bad shape. (I'll tackle the main
bearing job later.) After the rod bearings were replaced, my oil pressure
started out a 75 psi but went down to about 30 - 35 psi after a few miles.
Still, this is better than what it was.
I'm having a tough time believing that the main bearings are "binding" my
engine, but maybe they are. Any opinions??
Red Hansen
Tolland, CT
'74 TR6 CF13994