RE: Lube TR3A speedo cable

To: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Lube TR3A speedo cable
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:52:00 -0400
Art,

you pull the inner cable out of the sheath from the speedo end, then
lube it and reinsert.  You can also put some lube down the sheath
as well.  Light liquid graphite oil or lithium grease ought to do it.

As for the speedo reading, the cable will not turn SLOWER than the
drive for long before something snaps.  Usually a binding cable causes
the speedo to bounce as the  cable momentarily slows, winds up then snaps free
and unwinds.  A consistent speedo error may be a problem with the pointer
(pointing
ten mph off), or binding between the magnet and the drag cup.

See (a hopefully helpful) monograph on the subject of speedos at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
From: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Subject: lubricating Speedo cable

While my TR3A gearbox is at the shop I thought I'd take the opportunity to
re-lubricate the speedometer cable in an attempt to correct the Speedo.
It's currently 10-20 mph too high at speed and I'm told that's because of a
lack of graphite in the cable (see question 2).  However I have 2 questions:

1)  How the &^@(^ do I get the graphite stuff through the entire length of
the cable?

2)  How would a lack of lubrication result in a reading higher then actual?
Wouldn't heat/friction reduce the speed the cable spins?
<