Re: A-type OD drain plug

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A-type OD drain plug
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:34:23 -0700
My thanks to all who answered my query.

Turns out the problem was not the drain plug at all, but the OD body to
adapter plate gasket right above it.  On partial disassembly (unit still
in car), it appeared that a piece of gasket ~1" long was simply missing
!  (I still have no idea where it went.)
Since I was in a hurry to get the car back together (to attend the SCTOA
20th Birthday party bash), I first smeared the gasket area full of
silicone seal.  Then, when that still leaked (although much slower), I
'buttered' the outside of the joint with silicone seal, which worked
great!  No more tranny oil on the driveway !

Along the way, I also replaced the shifter shaft seals, and learned how
to twist safety wire <g>  (For those who haven't had the pleasure, the
older TR trannys have 5 taper pins, and 3 straight pins in the cover,
all retained with safety wire.)

Now, to dig out all the parts for that synchro-1st tranny and finish the
rebuild I planned 20 years ago <g>

Randall