Re: Won one from Prince Lucas this evening

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Won one from Prince Lucas this evening
From: "Russell Messersmith" <krus@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:15:19 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dan    Thanks for all the help.   The black wire from my ign. switch must
be for the dealer added  airconditioning or the raido.  I will not worry
about that any more.  One more problem --I can't get the oil pressure
warning light to work.  Do not have any power at the blue/blk wire but have
power at blue blk wire at horn press at steering column?  Also have power
at brake light failure switch but cant get brake failure warning light to
work.  Could you please direct me through these 2 circuts and this will
complete the electrical on my car except replacing the smaller guage white
wire in the harness that seems to go to the starter soilenoid.  This wire
has melted insulation down into the harness and I will have to open the
harness to replace.  I hope that it is not melted to far in so I don't have
to take to much apart and rewrape.
Thanks again for the help.   BTW  the car was made Apr 72  (cc81871u) no
hazard relay though I thought I saw a 73 with a hazard relay(aren't
Triumphs fun).

Russ Messsersmith
1967 TR4A
1972 TR6
----------
> From: DANMAS@aol.com
> To: krus@worldnet.att.net
> Subject: Re: Won one from Prince Lucas this evening
> Date: Thursday, June 17, 1999 10:31 PM
>
> In a message dated 6/14/99 2:19:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> krus@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> > Dan   Thanks for the info.  Followed your instructions and checked lg/g
> >  wire from flasher to switch and found no current.  I had put on a new
> >  female terminal at the flasher and had only crimped it.  No contact
unless
> >  you wiggled the wired.  I soddered the connection and walla hazzard
signals
> >  flashing.
>
> Great!  Feels good to solve a nagging problem, doesn't it?
>
> >  BTW the 72-74 TR6 do not have a hazzard relay.  All four
> >  terminals connect at the hazzard switch.
>
> That's one of the things that make working on these cars such a
challenge,
> especially via long distance -- you can't completely rely on factory
data.
> All of my info says the change over took place with the '73 model. I
wonder
> if it occured in the middle of the '72 model year?
>
> >  I have one more electrical question --
> >  there is a black wire with what appears to be a condensor attached to
the
> >  ignition switch.  This wire was running thru the fire wall comming out
> >  around the MC or brake switch.  Could you possible help me on this one
?
> >  I can't find this on the wiring diagram (maybe it is the ground for
the
> >  brake failure switch ), but why does it go to the ignition switch?
>
> I'm afraid this one has me stumped as well. I don't find it shown on
anything
> I have, and it doesn't appear on the only ignitin switch I have on hand
(both
> of mine are using aftermarket switches, so they are no help). Can you
> identify the switch terminal? Is there any markings on it -- numbers,
> letters, etc? Can you describe the location of the terminal with respect
> the others? I don't know of any place that a black wire wasn't a ground
wire
> on a Triumph, but there may be exceptions - I've learned never to say
never
> when talking about a Triumph. Possibly, it is a radio noise supression
> capacitor added by the DPO?  Why he would have gone through the firewall
> would be a mystery, but then most things the DPOs do are mysteries,
aren't
> they?
>
> >   Where are you in Tenn.?  I have a brother-in-law that lives in
Bristol.