TR4 vs. TR6 *Advice*

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 vs. TR6 *Advice*
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:06:58 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Here's my take on this debate, in terms of "What should I buy?":  When I
started looking for a Triumph early last year, I began with the car I most
recalled from my teenage years, and that was the TR4 or 4A.  I passed by
ads for other TRs, thinking that a really nice TR4 was bound to show up.
When it didn't after a few months, I began to consider the TR6.  There were
quite a few more TR6 ads in the local paper, I noticed, and at Auto-Trader.
Unfortunately, many of these turned out to be junk TR6s--the model being
more plentiful.  After various disappointments in my search for a 6, I had
a ride in a TR3, and decided to hell with 4s or 6s, I wanted the true
original TR classic.  . . .But just try to find one in good condition for a
fair price.  (Some of you may recall that I almost flew to Phoenix, AZ from
Seattle to buy one from a rather arrogant seller who made demands and was
reluctant to allow a buyer's inspection.)

Now here's the thing:  With almost any "collectible" the most important
consideration is the condition.  In real estate they say "location,
location, location," but among collectors of coins, books, stamps, and
sure, automobiles, they say "condition, condition, condition."  Those with
unlimited restoration funds can afford to ignore that homily, but most
can't.  My own search finally bore fruit when I decided that I didn't care
which TR I bought, as long as I bought a nice one.  It took 9 months
altogether, with many insundry adventures and disappointments.  But my
advice is this:  Unless you have a particular irrevocable passion for a
particular model, check your bank account and then buy for the condition of
the car first, the model second.  You can't lose with that kind of
thinking.

--Phil Haldeman