Re: TR4's - IRS vs live axle - report from Atlanta

To: ArthurK101@aol.com, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: TR4's - IRS vs live axle - report from Atlanta
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:36:11 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/23/99 12:24:41 PM EST, ArthurK101@aol.com writes:

<< To modify the new, AS DESIGNED, TR4A frame new brackets (to fit the
 older type semi-elliptic springs) needed to be welded on the chassis rails
 AND the welded larger bridge piece (designed, as an integral part of the
 frame, for the independent springs and axles of the IRS) in the rear of the
 TR4A frame was removed so that the solid axle could go across the chassis.

Art,

Have to disagree with you just a little. The new brackets required for the
front mounting of the rear springs were just bolted on. In fact, the holes
are still there on the TR6 frame, to my great pleasure.  The rear spring
mount was modified to add a hole for the rear shackle, and was used on all
TR4As, IRS or live axle. The rear mount fits the TR6 crossmember and body
mounting braces perfectly, after the original TR6 bracket is removed, again,
to my great pleasure.

Putting a TR4A live axle in a TR6 is extremely easy. I don't 'think' the
bridge piece needs to be removed, but I'll know more when I actually install
the axle. I'm using a Ford 9" which is considerably larger than the TR4A
axle. I believe the live axle TR4A frames were simply built without it. Only
four welds were involved in putting it on. It On the TR6, this piece is
welded to the frame with these four welds, and can be removed if needed in a
very few minutes.

To convert a live axle TR4A to IRS would also be very easy, as the bridge
piece could be removed from a junked car without damage and welded to the
conversion frame without difficulty. The holes in the frame for the swing
arms are already there. I'm not sure what would be required to fit the rear
diff mounting pins, but based on everything else, I suspect not much.

The TR6 body fastens to the bridge, but I don't think it does on the TR4A. If
I remove that bridge, I'll need to fabricate replacement body mounts. Right
now, I'm thinking of cutting out only the center section, and using the old
spring mounts for tube shock mounts.

The boys who re-designed the TR4A frame for the live axle were quite clever,
and very minimal changes were involved.

I'm on Atlanta again, spoiling my grandson some more, so I don't have my
normal reference material with me, nor can I put as much thought into my
answer as I would like, so I will confirm (or correct) the above when I get
home.

Dan  Masters,
Atlanta, GA