Re: MIG or ARC

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: MIG or ARC
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Keith McGahan wrote:

> I have been using my friends welders for the past year now and it seem to be
> about time that I get my own. Does anyone have any suggestion on a brand and
> type(MIG or ARC)that they have good luck with. I have only been using a MIG
> welder and would also like to know the draw back if any in using a ARC.

Frequently Asked Question #1.3.6, see Ye FAQ below.

Basically, don't bother with a plain arc-welder (stick welder, buzz-box)
unless you only have to weld thick metal (frames).  It's really difficult,
if not impossible, to weld sheet metal with a plain arc welder.

For sheet metal, get a MIG that can do gas shielding.  Otherwise, you're
using a FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welder) instead of a GMAW (Gas Metal Arc
Welder), the GMAW is cleaner and easier.  Less smoke, spatter, etc.

You can also weld just about anything on the TR4s with an oxy-acetylene
welder.  (I already have, it seems...)  Plus with a torch you can get
stuff red hot for bending it, and bake off rust, bondo, etc.  And you can
do very good sheet metal welds (if you're patient)- a good weld only
requires a bit of hammering to get the bead down, and maybe a quick pass
with the grinder to take away any bumps.  Then it's just as if you
stitched the metal together.

The only time I really wished I had a MIG is when welding in confined
spaces, or where there's a corner-- if the flame gets bounced back toward
the torch, the tip overheats and makes a god-awful BANG that scares the
bejesus out of anyone close by.  No fun.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm