Re: Duplicate messages --- owner-triumphs@autox.team.net on behalf of...

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Duplicate messages --- owner-triumphs@autox.team.net on behalf of..........................
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Joe Curry wrote:

> I don't know if it's related, but I have for the past couple of days
> gotten a number of  "mail failed-returning to sender" messages.  I just
> delete them and carry on.

These are two daemons (not 'demons') that are fighting with each other.
Majordomo sends out messages on behalf of the list (us) so that we don't
have to remember - or even KNOW - the email addresses of the subscribers.

Now, someone Who Is No Longer Available has forgotten to unsubscribe from
the list, and their email adrress has been disabled.  When you or I send a
message to triumphs@autox.team.net, majordomo kicks in, and flings it
about to the subscribers.  It hits this 'broken' (or full) mailbox, and
the daemon at the other end 'mailer-daemon' flings it back to majordomo,
who then forwards it to us (isn't he nice)

Someone's gotta summon mjb to work some voodoo at the majordomo end of
things, and to remove the bad email from majordomo's hit list.

As for duplicate messages, that's got me stumped (altho it may be a MIME
forwarded / attached message for all I know).  I use UNIX/Linux anyway,
which uses the PINE mail system, and it's a easy way to process tons of
email ('D'= Delete message & skip to next).  Free software rocks ;-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm