Re: TR6 Clutch Sticky Release/ Squeal

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Sticky Release/ Squeal
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:43:19 -0600
Re: TR6 Clutch Sticky Release/ Squeal

Over the past 3 years I have had problems with  my clutch
engagement/release.  It's hard to describe the feel , but the  pedal action
becomes sticky and rough (as if there were  sand in the hydraulic fluid) .
The clutch releases in tiny increments instead of continually. The result is
that when releasing, you take more and more pressure off until it finally
releases too quickly which  results in a very grabby start from a dead stop.
Also -  as soon as the engine is turned off the clutch pedal action becomes
smooth as silk again, and the problem is not evident in the car when
completely cold either, but reappears within a couple minutes when first
driven. To me this seems to rule out the hydraulics which should be
indifferent to clutch temperature or whether the engine is on. In any case
both  master and slave were rebuilt and rehoned last year.
The clutch and thrust bearing have been replaced twice in 2 years by 2
different shops (the 1st wouldn't stand by their  work) . The second time
the problem was diagnosed as oil seals allowing a small amount of oil to
enter the clutch housing and burn itself onto the flywheel. The seals were
replaced. The almost new thrust bearing was also a little rough which they
said might be caused by this oil getting into the bearing and dissolving the
grease.  I didn't see much oil when I inspected it but there were black
flecks on the flywheel.  In any case all was replaced

Within a thousand miles the problem is now reappearing (not quite as bad
yet, but definitely there),. Worse yet when picking the car up with the new
clutch from the shop there is a squealing noise  during the first 1-2 inches
of   pedal push.

I don't mind spending money replacing something on my TR once but it is
discouraging to  do a full expensive replacement 2-3 times on the same item
without satisfactory results.  Has anyone on the list experienced these
problems and discovered the cause and fix?
Thanks for any help, Jim Sloan
Calgary, AB