Re: Blanking off choke doubles idle, meaning ?...

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blanking off choke doubles idle, meaning ?...
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:12:17 -0700
I did'nt blank mine off so much as I adjusted them till they could not
open(under any circumstances). Its my understanding they are a very minor
emission add on to allow extra air into the carbs when the engine is in
deceleration(i.e high vacuum which opens the valves if they are adjusted
correctly). Having them adjusted to never open eliminates the possibility of
opening when at idle(or any time). If their open at idle, they allow extra air
into the carbs and like any vacuum leak, this raises the idle dramatically. If
you want to you can try to adjust them to open only on deceleration. If so,
make it for hard high rpm deceleration(ie. so they barely open) so you can
insure they are shut at idle. How do you do this, make another quarter to half
a turn above the recommended turn listed in the Bentley book. Of course if you
go to far, you effectively do what I did and make them never open at all. If
your trying to solve a vacuum leak(and it sounds like you are) I'd set them to
not open first and see if that solves the 'leak'. If not, leave them shut and
look for a leak elsewhere. On the heals of a rebuild your gaskets/diaphragms
are all sound then the suspects are temp. compensator, bypass valve, old vacuum
hose with a crack somewhere.

Good luck!