Factory installed windscreens

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Factory installed windscreens
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:38:38 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
I was getting the windscreen replaced in my Truck (I know, I could have
done it myself, just don't have the time) and casually mentioned to the
installer that I wondered how the factory would have installed this type of
windscreen.  The truck has the same type of retained by a gasket, installed
with a rope type, as so many of our Triumphs have.  He said that he was
told that two people installed them and that while one person used the
equivalent rope on the inside, another person "hammered" on the outside
with what was described as an extremely large rubber mallet, to help seat
the windscreen as the rubber was secured.  This seemed a brutal way to do
it, but not unlikely having read other stories of how things were assembled
"before robots" as the idea was to do it quickly, not necessarily the
neatest, most careful way
What say you, John Mac-?  Any truth to the story?  I would think if true,
that more than a few windscreen would have ended up, shall we say, unusable
:-)

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)