TR3 - Mis-matched temp gauge and sending unit. Solution

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 - Mis-matched temp gauge and sending unit. Solution
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:21:25 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Kudos to Dan Masters and George Richardson for their advice on correcting my
over-zealous temp gauge.

History - on TR3 driver I have messed up two original type rebuilt temp
gauges by breaking the capilary tube ($250 down the tube - literally).
Since this car will never be concours, I decided to install a new TR4
electric gauge I found in my parts pile.  Bought a sending unit at local
Moss distributor.   Problem was it was reading 240+ at the gauge but only
190 at the sender.

Ended up I have a mismatched sender & gauge.  I installed a 3 watt 25 ohm
reostat from RadShack in line between hot feed and gauge.  Tweaked it until
the two read the same.  Have tested it at a variety of temps since then  165
- 210 and the gauge is right on the money now. 185 is 185.  High and low
ends are off by 2 degrees to the outside.

Sure is nice to know that the car isn't overheating.

Carl