Major screwup: Front engine plates - TR3 versus TR4

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Major screwup: Front engine plates - TR3 versus TR4
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:04:31 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "NJTA-Vollers,Rob" <rdvollers@nac.net>
Scions,

Well.... if anyone has questions about the differences between the TR3 and
TR4 front engine plates, let me know.  I can now tell them apart in my
sleep.

I will be posting pictures of each soon, as I will be taking pictures of two
beautifully finished examples this week.  The TR3 plate is one I just finish
cleaning up and painting and the TR4 one is the one I had powder coated and
installed in the engine I just finished building for my TR3.  Unfortunately,
the engine is now sitting a bit high in the engine bay on the wrong front
engine plate, but I anticipate being able to change it out in the car,
supporting the engine on a floor jack.

Yup, major blunder!  I don't know how I did it, as the mounting holes are
spaced wider in the TR4, but I did a royal screw up and put a TR4 front
engine plate in my TR3's newly rebuild engine.  Actually there are many
other differences, which I will detail on the web site.  Unfortunately,
since I didn't pull the old engine out of the car until recently, I couldn't
really compare the front engine plate that was in the car to one I was using
to convert the TR4 engine I bought into a TR3 engine.

I'll let y'all know when I get the engine plate pictures up, but I'm not
certain I'll have the car ready for my car show on the 19th.  Major Bummer!
Too much work left on the car and I'm travelling for work soon too.  I
haven't given up yet.  I won't do that until it's time to drive to the show
site on Saturday morning the 19th to set up for the show, but it's a
longshot now.

Feeling foolish, but moving ahead,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A