Torque Settings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Torque Settings
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:26:06 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
LisTRs --
I'm replacing the rod bearings on my '74 TR6. While I was under the car
looking things over, I thought I'd check out the mains also. So, I loosened
one, checked it out, did the same to another, checked that out. Then I went
to my Haynes to get the proper torque settings, set my new ($19.95, Thorsen,
range 10-80 ft-lbs.) torque wrench for 80 ft-lbs. And tightened them up.
Then I pulled my plugs, made sure the car was not in gear, and commenced
replacing the rod bearings. I was told by a couple of fellow Listers that I
could hand turn my engine to arrange the next set of rods for replacement. I
could not. In fact, when I used the ignition button (yes, I have one) I
couldn't get it to crank over at all. Fred Thomas said I had tightened my
crankshaft bearings too tight. Sure, enough, when I loosened my main
bearings, the motor could be turned by the starter, but still not by hand.
So, I have several questions. What is the experience out there with regard
to torque values for the rod bearing assembly? For the main bearings
assembly? Is my torque wrench too cheap to get accurate values? If so, any
recommendations out there? Why can't I hand turn my engine?
All responses will be quickly read and greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Red Hansen
'74 TR6 CF13994U