Re: synthetic gear oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: synthetic gear oil
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 04:51:14 GMT
On 31 May 1999, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> PS.  I currently use a generic GL4 (not GL5) gear oil and it seems to work
> fine but just for fun I want to try the $$$ stuff.

I've been using Mobil GL4 synthetic for many years now.

If you drive the car at temperatures (substantially) below freezing, I
would say that synthetic is recommended, to the point of being mandatory.

For summer temperatures, I am in no real position to say whether synthetic
is better (or worse) than mineral gear oil. Considering the lifespan of
gear oil, and synthetic in particular, the cost is no significant factor.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway