Spitfire Breather

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "dagger@ix.netcom.com" <dagger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Spitfire Breather
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:17 -0800
     Doug wrote:

     [snip]I have a really weird breathing system on my Spitfire Mk1.[snip]

     and he referenced a web site photo.....
     ================
     Doug - I had an almost identical system on my Mk I Spit.  It was
     common, I believe, on cars that were originally sold in California
     (but I could be way wrong about that).

     Anyways, when I restored the car guess what?  Yep, them funny air
     filters with the vent tube attachment nipple were NLA!  The only
     replacements I could find were the polished steel "flat face" air
     filters from Moss, TRF, etc.  I ended up installing K&N filters (they
     looked awesome) and simply running a rubber tube from the nipple on
     the valve cover down between the split manifolds, underneath the car
     and let it vent into the airstream under the car.  I had zero blowby,
     so no mess under the car.

     If you are a concours freak (sorry guys, make that concours "fan") you
     may have significant trouble locating a usable replacement set.  You
     might try calling John Kipping Spares in the UK.   Regards,

     Ross Vincenti
     Triumph-less for the moment.