Tired but pleased

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tired but pleased
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 23:23:08 -0700
Guys and gals!

Today I finally finished the latest addition to Huxley (my Mk1 Spit).
Hux now has a 3-rail full synchro tranny with a D-type overdrive.  And
he is lovin' it (so am I).  The thing shifts so smooth and there is no
hint of any noise from the tranny.  The best part is watching the rev
counter sit on 3000 rpm at 60mph!

I took the time (while I was at it) to install some foil backed carpet
pads and insulation under the plastic tranny cover.  As I stated
earlier, I used some urethane foam to insulate it.  It works very well
and except for underestimating the clearance I found installation to be
fairly simple.  The clearance problem occurred in two places, the
starter housing and the top of the shifter assembly.  Several
fitting/trimming sessions solved the problem and it is now secure.

Oh yeah, I secured an aluminum bell housing to top off the installation
and that cut quite a bit of weight out of the thing.

Finally, while I had the exhaust off, I scrubbed all the surface rust
off and painted with barbecue paint.  I could smell it burning after the
pipes warmed up, but hopefully it will stay.

Here's the breakdown of the total cost of the project:

Used transmission w/OD in ? condition      $150.00
Mounting Plate, bearing, shaft (SpitBits)   $32.00
Bearings, seals, etc. (TRF)                 $67.29
OD mount                                    $33.37
Shorten Driveshaft and 2 U-Joints           $90.29
Heater Switch (broken removing Tranny)      $14.00
Labor and misc. gaskets, bell housing,etc. $170.00
                                           -------
            Total                          $556.95

I am especially pleased with the total cost!

Regards,
Joe Curry

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer