TR4 Left Crash Pad Alignment Problem

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Left Crash Pad Alignment Problem
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:36:24 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Listers

I had a weird problem yesterday with my new left hand crash pad.   When I
got everything together and installed the center plinth in place.... the
left hand crash pad was not lined up with the cut out in the plinth and was
actually slightly shorter than needed to be inside the plinth opening.  The
right pad was right on but not as full shaped and there was a small gap on
the bottom part of the plinth gap.... but looked OK

The left had pad seemed to be about 1/4" to left and 1/4" down.   This
caused the shortness and misalignment.   I should have been tipped off when
the pad did not completely cover the recess in the dash for the steering
column clamp studs.  I turns out the threaded posts and the metal support
piece are misaligned in the foam.  I measured the old left crash pad posts
and they are lower when measured from the top of the pad and farther away
from the end.
I also checked the new right hand posts and they are a lower from th top
and more in the center.

I had taken extensive pictures of Don Sforza's excellent BRG 1962 TR4 last
summer as a reference for finding and restoring a 62 TR4.   I have a close
up picture of his left hand crash pad and plinth joint.... and sure
enough.... there is the shortness and gap from being too low.   Are all the
new pads like this as John's dash suggests.... or am I doing something
stupid?

Has any one else had this problem.  I got the crash pad 3-piece kit from
TRF and it really looks wonderful.  They were very helpful... talked to
John Swager(spelling??) directly... they are sending a replacement on
Monday.

If they are all misaligned then I will have to move the holes in the dash
to compensate.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com