Saab vs. TR

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Saab vs. TR
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:43:02 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
>The Saab engine evolved to a point where there was only
>passing resemblance to the original Triumph-built motor.

Andy,

Owning a TR3 and a 1988 SAAB 9000, I am always stunned by the similarities.
I have not compared them dimensionally, but they are quite similar from the
separate thrust washers to the oversized journals.  I've often reviewed my
two Haynes manuals (Saab-TR3-4) side by side as a comparison.  The Saab does
have neat cam bearing caps (like the mains), whereas the cam bearing on the
TR must be pulled, though.  Maybe I'm just seeing the similarities between
two internal combustion engines, but it feels like more than that.

Yes, technology has blown the old TR engine away, but, to me at least, it's
the same beast underneath.

Jack (wanting to put that four valve Saab head on his TR3) Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ
My car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph