TR6 odo/speedo

To: Keith <kehrlich@dyax.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 odo/speedo
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:11:41 -0400
Keith,
see my speedometer service manual at
http://outworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

The odometer and speedometer functions are mostly independent.
The speedometer pointer is a magnetic thing that only requires that the input
shaft spins, which spins a magnet, which causes the pointer to move.

The odometer is run off a worm and screw arrangement on the input shaft.
The worm has an eccentric pivot which moves a pawl.  The pawl pulls a gear
on the mainn odometer at one tooth per pawl pull.  The mian odometer has
a second gear on it that drives the trip odometer.

Your symptoms suggest that there is a problem with the worm gear or
pawl.  Read my manual. Look at the pictures and open yours up!

Let me know how it goes!

-Tony