re: TR6 speaker solution that you can actually hear!

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: TR6 speaker solution that you can actually hear!
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:54:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
First let me say this (even though it probably sounds pretentious): I have a
little experience in pro audio. In the 80's and early 90's, I did a great
deal of studio and live sound engineering. Later, when my delusions of
making a living in music faded and I had to get a real job, I built a home
recording studio and did a great deal of CD quality audio work with my home
studio. Over the years, I've spent a lot of time studying sound engineering
and have learned a great deal about drivers, tuned enclosures, frequency
behaviors, acoustically reflective surfaces, etc in the pursuit of the
perfect studio control room sound. Having said all of this impressive stuff,
my 76 TR6 has a basic AM/FM radio of early eighties vintage (hell, it may be
original to the car for all I know) and very simple, basic, monaxial
speakers of the same vintage. Why? For two reasons, mainly. First, any
potential thief takes one look at it, laughs, and moves on to Dave's car
:-). Number Two, when I'm driving the TR6, as cliche' as it sounds, the
exhaust note and the sound of the engine revving to 4500 rpms between shifts
is the most beautiful music to me. I guess that, with my two new cars having
concert level soundsystems, and dealing with it so much in my home studio,
its just not that big of a deal to me to have it in the TR6 also. (A guy I
know that owns a swimming pool construction company doesn't even have a pool
in his own yard because he says pools are no big deal to him anymore. Maybe
its the same syndrome.) In fact, after pulling the transmission out two or
three years ago to put in a new clutch, I didn't even bother hooking the
radio back up when I put it back together. My intention was to go back and
re-wire it correctly on accessory power(the PO had it wired constant hot)
and I just got used to driving the car without any radio at all. The only
reason I recently wired it back up was to hear the traffic reports. I guess
that sounds crazy, but each to their own, right? :-)
Regards, Greg Hutmacher  76 TR6 (a.k.a. my ideal symphony when I haven't
screwed up the carbs :-))