RE: Stromberg adjustment problems - resolution

To: "'fogbro1@bellatlantic.net'" <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: RE: Stromberg adjustment problems - resolution
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:16:33 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Jonathan Beaudoin'" <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Ed,
        The manual I'm looking at is the TRIUMPH TR6 REPAIR OPERATION MANUAL
(part # AKM 3529B, its the "factory" manual that has a plain white cover
with gold print, copyright British Leyland 1975). Section 19.15.02, item #7
states:
        "Start the engine and lift both carburettor pistons in turn
approximately 1/4 in (6mm) and  note the engine response as follows:
                a) immedeate increase in r.p.m. - rich mixture
                b) decrease in r.p.m. or stall - weak mixture
                c) slight increase in r.p.m. then return to normal - correct
mixture."
However, you may be right anyway. I've received a post from another lister
with a TR6 who says his does the same thing as mine. Granted two examples do
not make a scientific survey. Manuals (even "factory" manuals like the one
cited above) have been known to be wrong before. All I know for certain is
that even with my Strombergs adjusted full rich, the idle falters and tries
to stall when I lift the carb piston 1/4 inch. Either way, I've got the
mixture set to where the car is running well so I'm not going to worry about
it.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher