RE: Gearbox Rearend Oil

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox Rearend Oil
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:35:28 -0700
Stuart :

I basically agree, but have a few comments :

The GL-5 specification appears to be tougher in almost all categories than
the GL-4 specification (including copper corrosion), so I believe that
most, if not all, GL-5 oils actually meet the GL-4 specification.  Those
that don't advertise that fact may not because :
a) the test is expensive and pointless,
b) They know their oil is too corrosive for typical transmission use even
though it meets GL-4,
c) Apparently some of the original GL-4 tests can no longer be made,
because the required equipment is no longer produced. (Information found at
http://www.lubrizol.com/referencelibrary/readyreference/15-gears/gearper
f.htm )

I even found a comment that GL-4 is "Equivalent to obsolete MIL-L-2105
specification; usually satisfied with 50% GL-5 additive level", which
implies even GL-4 only oils now use the same additive as GL-5, just less of
it.

Also, Redline makes several different gear oils, including "Manual
Transmission Lube" or MTL, which is specifically a GL-4 replacement.  It
supposedly provides better synchro action (faster shifts) than their GL-5
oils.

I checked at several local parts chains (Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone), all
of them carried GL-4 (only) as well as GL-5 oil.  Most of them also had a
Sta-Lube product that is labeled GL-4/GL-5.

Both GL-4 and GL-5 specify the corrosion test be run at 250 degrees F.  I
don't know where the 200 degree figure came from.  The GL-4 test runs for 1
hour, the GL-5 test for 3 hours.  At the end, the finish of a test copper
strip is compared to a standard.  Unfortunately, the standard numbers are
different (3b vs 3), and I don't have access to them for a first hand
comparison.  However, based on the information that higher numbers
represent higher levels of corrosion, I assume that 3b is worse than 3.

Unfortunately, I have to take this to mean that the reported synchro ring
corrosion means neither of these tests is stringent enough to prevent it.

Randall