Oil pressure; general comments

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure; general comments
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:58:10 -0400
Over the years I have seen a lot of "What should the oil pressure be?"
questions on the list. At the risk of being wrong, I'll comment based on my
experience. My TR6, with about 5K miles on a new engine, runs at 70 psi
cold. When hot, I see 50 psi at highway speeds, 30-40 psi at idle. I have
no reason to suspect anything is amiss.

What I would caution is putting too much faith in the absolute accuracy of
the gauge. Both my tach and my speedo are off considerably. Before you say
"But they are cable driven, etc." consider that the cars are not at all new
and the guages were cheap to start with.

Going back to this car in Arizona, I wouldn't have walked away from the car
because of the gauge reading, but rather because of the seller's attitude.
For me to drop $15K on a car, I should be expected to ask a few pointed
questions and get some straight answers.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)

I suffer from kleptomania. Sometimes I have to take something for it.