Re:What grade (octane rating) of gasoline does everyone run

To: "Radley; Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:What grade (octane rating) of gasoline does everyone run
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:05:05 -0400
Cc: "'6packlist@mfasco.com'" <6packlist@mfasco.com>
Jack

I remember a previous thread on the list.  Now let's see if I remember correctly
what was said.  My recollection is that octane is not necessarily a performance
enhancing additive.  Rather it is an additive that prevents premature combustion
(which cause that pinging sound when you put your foot into the gas pedal).  In
some in some high compression engines you need to run a higher octane to prevent
the pinging.  If you don't have a pinging problem then you don't need to run a
higher octane gas.

I was running 91 octane gas and tried 87 octane gas with no apparent bad effects
(and I have a 1969 HE engine in my TR6, which I understand is an high
compression engine).   No change in performance...no better, no worst,  no
change in gas mileage...no better, no worst.  A bit cheaper...but how much gas
do you really use if it's not a daily driver.

I don't recall any bad things about running a TOO high of an octane gas...other
than cost.   So my guess you that can't you can't run too high of an octane gas
(within reason) but you can run too expensive gas in a TR6.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446
66TR4A CTC57806