TR6 overdrive not operating smooth

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 overdrive not operating smooth
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:37:11 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,
        I've had an interesting problem with my 76 TR6 J-type overdrive and
think I finally solved the mystery. I'm afraid it makes me look kind of
stupid, but thought I'd share it with the list just in case someone else
ever notices the same problem. My TR6 is only driven occasionally but I had
begun to notice over the past six months that when in overdrive on the
highway, it would begin "missing" or lurching. In other words, it felt like
the engine was missing, but only when I was in overdrive...if I took it out
of overdrive, it ran smooth. So, I knew it was the overdrive. It felt like
it was kicking in and out of overdrive in very rapid, uneven cycles almost
like an engine missing. I wondered if the overdrive might not be getting
full pressure. Well, I finally got off my lazy a** last night (since I
wanted to drive it to work this morning) and jacked it up and checked the
gearbox oil. Sure enough, it was low so I added oil until it ran out of the
filler hole (maybe a third to a half a quart of 90W). Well, on the drive in
to work this morning, it ran glass smooth in overdrive. I assume that the
low gearbox oil was causing the overdrive problem. If this is not the case,
someone please let me know. By the way, I threw caution to the wind and
drove the TR6 into battle this morning. 30 miles each way into the worst,
most aggressive Dallas freeway traffic to my office. Didn't get run over on
the way in...now I just have to get it home in one piece this afternoon...
Regards, Greg Hutmacher