'59 TR3a info needed -- UPDATE and questions -- she sold it to another

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '59 TR3a info needed -- UPDATE and questions -- she sold it to another
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:35:08 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, she sold it to another person.  It wasn't a question of price, but
that the buyer had shown interest first.

I wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank the many list members
who offered their thoughts and advice on:
1) What to look for when looking at a classic car for the first time;
2) That the title number is indeed the engine number and that this
apparently occurred during the 40's through the 60's (thanks to Andy Mace
for this information);
3) When to think about walking away from the "beast".  (although, from the
pictures, it would have been hard to do this)

I found out today that another buyer bought the car before I had a chance to
see it.  Ugh!  I'm heartbroken, and still looking for a TR3/3a/3b that I can
acquire.  I'm not afraid of a little work, but I do want it complete, with
original components, primarily sound, and running.  Is a purchase price of
$2,000 to $4,500 too little for what I'm looking for?

Based on a couple of questions from other members, I would like to respond.
I do have pictures of the vehicle that I had solicited questions on, and all
but one showed the car with a LHD except one shot of the interior.  In this
one (older) picture, the car was a RHD.  The owner strongly suggested that
it had always been LHD when in her father's possession.  When given the
title number that was the engine number, I was left without the commission
number information that I needed - the inclusion of a "L" after the TS
number.  Thus my question on whether we could tell about handedness from the
title / engine number.

Additionally, several list members recommended purchasing a certificate from
the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT).  I am curious whether
this is a good idea before you purchase a vehicle.  Would it not be a good
idea for the BMIHT to offer a cheaper version of information that would
simply allow a purchaser to know whether the vehicle commission number
matches the engine / transmission / ... numbers?  This might reduce some
confusion about whether a car is worthwhile or not.

Thanks again for all your help!  I appreciate it.
Eric Conrad
Denver, CO
econrad@teal.csn.net