TR4A Tires/Strombergs

To: Fancis Dupuis <francis_dupuis@bc.sympatico.ca>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Tires/Strombergs
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:22:27 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Francis Dupuis" <francis_dupuis@bc.sympatico.ca>
>Subject: TR4A Questions

>Thanks to those who responded to my minilite queries. Now that the rims are
>coming, I need to decide on the tires. Does anyone know what the original
>tire height would have been for the 4A?<

Francis,
The original tires were either michelin 165/80-15 radials or 5.95 bias ply.  You
can tell which on the basis of your speedometer.  A 1152 calibration was
the speedo for michelins and the 1184 was for the bias plys.  It appears that
the aspect ratio of the bias ply tires is about 78, not that you will be able
to tell the difference without trying.

In modern tires, you can go for 195/65-15 or 205/60-15.  All of these are close
to the original rolling diameter and so not scrub on the front.  I'd prefer
the 195's myself to keep the width as close as possible to the original
narrow tires.  185 tires are available, but are scarce, and not too good.
There is a much wider choice in the 195 and 205 sizes.

RE: strombergs.  My impression is the strombergs are NOT GOOD.  I'd
advise you to keep the SU's.  Triumph went back to SU's as soon as
it was economically feasible for them to!  So should you.

SU's work just fine, and are more simple.  Stombergs IMHO add
nothing to you performance nor ease of tuning, so do not invest
the time nor effort in the exchange!

-Tony