RE: TR3 cool sys flush

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 cool sys flush
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:06:36 -0800
Paul :

I've used the Pep Boys kit on other cars.  It works OK, but didn't seem
worth the price & effort to me.  I normally use a 'sweeper' nozzle and an
in-line valve on the hose, then insert the nozzle into a heater hose to do
the flush.  You might get a little wet, but don't have to cut a molded
hose, or have that yellow plastic tee under the hood.  It's also easier to
flush both directions.

However, either way, be sure you do not put too much water pressure into
the heater core.  The TR3 heater core will not stand very much pressure,
and is restrictive enough that a garden hose will build significant
pressure against it.  I found out the hard way !

Another comment : IMO its better to use distilled water in the radiator.
 Tap water (at least around here) is fairly corrosive, and leaves mineral
deposits that eventually have to be cleaned out.

Randall

On Thursday, April 01, 1999 8:58 AM, Paul Poplawski, Phd
[SMTP:Paulpop@ssnet.com] wrote:

> Wondered about an effective way of flushing the cooling system?
>
> I saw a flush kit at Pep Boys which appears to require some changes in
> hoses with adapters ... what are your recommendations
>
> thanks

??????