TR4A New Project

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A New Project
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:56:05 -0500
Well fellow listers I've taken the plunge once more.

I came across a deal for a 1967 TR4A last week and decided I would buy
it yesterday.  It was crunched in the front end ten years ago by the
PO's daughter and has been sitting carefully covered up every since.
The frame, grille, upper and lower valences, radiator, front fenders,
inner fenders, wheel arches, are all crunched and beyond repair. The PO
is the original owner and has two other TR4As that he's restored so he's
a dyed-in-the-wool 4A guy.

For $1200 he's selling me the complete 67 TR4A, (that is in great shape
(body panels are solid) from the engine back), another 4A tub with a
rust free front clip, 4 fenders, a good straight bonnet, a replacement
grille, a replacement front bumper, replacement front suspension parts
(that he acquired for the crunched ones), a replacement radiator, and a
replacement solid/straight 4A frame that is already stripped down and
ready for blasting and painting. It has the original A-type overdrive
too.  Basically the price includes ALL the parts to make the car whole
again. The engine is a question mark (obviously ran good enough to get
in an accident) but it turns and he said he changed the oil religiously
and maintained the car with all the TLC that Triumphs need.  It really
was his baby for 20 years so he's interested in seeing me get it rolling
again.

Since I'm going to take it off the bent frame and put it back together
on the straight frame it seems like a no-brainer to do a frame-up.  What
do you think guys?  I'm thinking it's a much better project (cheaper and
faster, better result) than making my rust bucket TR6 into a TR256 like
I'd been thinking about.

I'd appreciate any general or specific advice on how I should proceed
with the restoration given the situation. I want to do it right and I'm
in no hurry since I've got my good TR6 to drive. That, along with the
fact that I don't have big chunks of money to throw at it all at once.
I'm going to do most of it myself, cause that's part of the fun, and
farm out as little as possible (famous last words right??).  What were
those restoration books someone recommended?

I've gleaned some ideas from past messages on restoration projects but
would love to hear any strategies on a plan of attack that you might
like to share.  Successes, failures, wish I'd done it this way
comments???

I guess I'll get the straight frame first and check it for any spots
that might need a little welding.  I plan to add gussets to reinforce
the front suspension and the differential mounts and maybe stiffen the
frame in a couple places (I'm not going to race it or show it so those
criteria won't limit decisions on improving driveablility, safety,
handling, etc..  Then it's on to blasting and powder coating.

This is going to be fun, I'm stoked.  And to think 9 months ago I didn't
own ONE Triumph....gulp.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446