Re: Wrinkle paint woes...

To: JoEllisTR3@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wrinkle paint woes...
From: Bush4brits@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:45:41 EST
Hi Jo(?),
You're right about the gauges interfering with the formation AND pattern of
wrinkles on your instrument cluster. You should remove the gauges and
thoroughly clean (sand blast) the cluster panel before using wrinkle paint.
When I did mine I found that if the coat of paint was too thick, I had an
aggressive pattern. But, if put it on too thin, I ran the risk of flat
areas......needless to say, I experimented.
The cluster doesn't take much paint, so if I didn't like it I stripped it and
started over. It's easy enough to try yourself......why don't you?
IMHO, try to paint at 75 or 80 degrees with a slightly elevated humidity level
(60% ?). This gives the paint a longer drying time, encouraging the formation
of wrinkles.
You could also try a laquer thinner wash just prior to painting.
Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN 3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398 L