TR3 rear springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 rear springs
From: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:11:39 -0500
Randall, Paul and all,

Thanks for the info on rear spring spacers/axle height above frame.

It's now pretty obvious the the new springs I fitted to my TR3 when it
was but a bare frame, are so still that they don't provide clearance
between the axle tubes and the frame even thought the body's now on the
car. I have the original used springs and will probably fit them before
the driving season here in Western PA.

My humble opinion is that the present arrangement is downright unsafe
since the rear wheels cannot travel in a downward direction at a bump in
the road, of which we have many where I live. I dred the work. I do not
bend as easily as I did when I got my first TR3 in 1959 and it's a lot
harder to get up off the garage floor too!!

I've read the bit on stanchions and can confirm the if there are only
two threaded holes in the bodywork, the late non Dnuz type are required.
I have some in my basement collection of stuff if the party in need
wants to get in touch. $40 including US shipping would handle it. The
could use a rechrome, of course.

Back to the spring thing: it's fortunate that I removed and greased the
"D" bolts when I had the thing dismantled. At least I'll be able to
remove and replace the springs without lifting the body.

If anyone is still reading this, I will have a TR3 overdrive
transmission for sale soon. If you're interested, please get in touch.

Thanks again to all.

Ed Woods