76 TR6 Head Installation Questions

Subject: 76 TR6 Head Installation Questions
From: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@iso.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:23:39 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
I am about to reinstall the head on my 76 TR6. I have got all new valves,
hardened seats, re-sleved guides so the head should be in good shape. I
finally got all the crud off of the top of the block and cleaned the tops of
the pistons. I also cleaned the studs on the engine and bought all new ones
on the head and installed them with some bolt prep stuff. The main queston I
have is the head gasket. In one of my books it says to paint the gasket with
an aluminum paint unless the instructions say not too (when is the last time
you bought a part that came with instructions?). Do I need to do this? Also
I have heard I should use something to seal around the water things (you
know...) to keep water out of the oil. Do I need to do this, and if so what
should I use?

I am sure I will have more questions soon. I am hoping to get the head back
on the car pretty soon (maybe tomorrow).