RE: Your alternator installation

To: "'Jack Brooks'" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: RE: Your alternator installation
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:49:02 -0800
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jack :

I've never had any trouble with the wiring, and the first car I did would
run for many minutes with the ammeter at full scale (after a cold start in
Indiana winter).  With the alternator (and a big battery), my TR-3 would
sometimes start when American cars wouldn't !  The wires that carry the
charging current are actually pretty stout, IMO any problems are going to
be at the connections.

If you put the shunt on the back of the ammeter, as I did, you also won't
damage the original ammeter.  The excess current flows through the shunt.
 I just put 2 strands of steel baling wire from terminal to terminal on the
back of the ammeter, under the wires.

Oh, and don't forget to convert to negative ground first ! <g>

Randall